Saturday, September 20, 2008

Free Verse Poem Without A Title

The Poem (I didn't bother to record this one, and I probably won't get around to it):

How may a man
Show his love
When the moon
Is so much brighter?

Glittering stars
Point the way
To Far-flung
Paradise.

How may a man
Hold his love
When the sea
Is so much deeper?

Waters beckon
As treasures shine,
Eyes of the deep
The only guide

How may a man
Save his love
While mountains
Stand still in time?

A rocky face
To scorn
All who yet
May wander.

But…

How may a man
Hide his love
When his heart
Stands beside him?

A gentle hand
To hold
That which makes
Two, one.

How may a man
Contain his love
When his passion
Softly calls his name?

The sight of
Two paths merging,
All is laid
Before him.

Why should a man
Lose his love
Thought it may
Travel from him?

From my lips
To the wind,
A message sings:
I’m with you.

---

The Story:

This poem is dedicated to (and in fact written for)someone very special to me. I wanted her to know, unequivocally, that I love her. On a more technical note, I'm happy that I was able to write the whole poem without inserting the phrase, "I love you." Those three words mean a lot to both of us, but I wanted to express myself without resorting to the obvious or the over-played. I would say the message was delivered successfully. It's written in free verse because...that's the way it came out. I don't normally use free verse, but since this was a special (if not extraordinary) occasion, I figured it was worth a shot. I'm not happy about having to use "but..." as a hinge to change the poem's tone on, but I couldn't think of anything else at the time, so it stuck. I might look to write more poetry in the near future, but we'll have to see. It all sort of depends on how I feel, and how much time I have.

To any visitors - Comments are certainly appreciated. Thanks.

No comments: