Monday, February 18, 2008

Commission Me!

As of today (2/18/08), I have decided to open my doors to commissions. This means if you want me to write a completely personalized and customizable song just for you, now's your chance!

I've set up the following F.A.Q. / Contract for anyone is interested.

Question - How should I get in contact with you?

Answer- The best way to reach me is through my email, at fromthewayside AT gmail DOT com.


Question: How much will it cost?

Answer: Song will cost $5 a pop. There will be $2 down payment for me to start work, and an additional $3 for me to release the final song to you.


Question: How long will it take?

Answer: At this point songs are estimated to take about two weeks to complete. If it takes longer, you will receive a dollar off your total purchase price for each additional week the song takes to complete*. A maximum of two dollars will be taken off your purchase.

*There are two exceptions to this - First, if the song is being composed in a peak period (EX: Valentine's Day), or I encounter extreme circumstances (Death in the family, Finals, Midterms, Etc), I reserve the right to extend the production period a reasonable amount (depending on the event) to finish the song.


Question: What if I am dissatisfied with the song?

Answer: If you are dissatisfied or want revisions to your song, it can be adjusted or re-written for $2-3 depending on the amount of work that goes into the revision. (EX: Rewriting some of the lyrics)


Question: Will you write any song? What about cover songs?

Answer: I reserve the right to refuse any song, but most topics will be accepted. I normally will NOT do cover songs, because I have no way of getting in touch with the original artist. I'm not here to infringe on copyright law.


Question: Will you write using any musical style?

Answer: The short answer is yes. The long answer is that I excel at certain styles over others. I will rarely turn down a song because of the style, but I may offer my own "artistic interpretation" of the style requested.


Question: Can I provide my own lyrics?

Answer: Yes. I will accept any lyrics, riffs, etc, as long as they are not pulled straight from someone else's song (see my thoughts on doing cover songs above), and they don't bother / offend me (a very hard thing to do). Lyrics and riffs may be tinkered with to make the song work.


Question - I don't like your voice / want a female singer / etc. Will you still do a song for me?

Answer - Yes. I will do everything in my power to arrange for the right person to perform your song for you. Be aware though, that I have limited resources to make this happen, so it may not always be possible.


Question - Can I give a copy of the song to my friends?

Answer - Of course! You are completely free to distribute as many copies as you like, as long as you are not selling the song for a profit.

NOTE: I will retain sole copyright / licensing to the song.


Question: How will I receive my song when it is finished?

Answer: I can send it to you in one of several ways. Normal costs include an mp3 of your song, sent to you over the internet. If you prefer to have the song burned on a CD (jewel case optional but recommended) and sent to you, there will be an additional charge. I will not pay shipping fees.


Question - Will you post every song you write on the site?

Answer - No. If you don't want me to post a song on the site, I won't. I will always try to wait for your permission to post, but if I don't receive a yes or no within one month of completion, I may post it on the site (though none of the commissioner's information will be included).


Question - What method of payment do you prefer?

Answer - I prefer cash when possible (local deals), and will accept pay pal and certified check payments. If none of the above work for you, contact me and we can discuss payment.


Question - I have a question that hasn't been answered here!

Answer - Email me at the address listed above and below.


Question - How should I get in contact with you?

Answer- The best way to reach me is through my email, at fromthewayside AT gmail DOT com. (I know I included this information twice; I just want to make sure no one missed it.)


I hope this little FAQ has sparked your interest and answered any questions you might have had! Feel free to drop me a line at my email address. I look forward to hearing from you!

No comments: