Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Finally, An Update! Yay!

First Song - Ingrid Michaelson's, "The Way I Am," multi-track version. The tracks in question include bongos, Brazilian drums, bass, ukulele, and vocals. I don't think it's as good as the original, but as I practice and record, my skills are increasing!



Second song - Green Day's, "Good Riddance." This was also multi-tracked in GarageBand. It was a pretty fun song to record, especially the intro and middle bit. I know it's not perfectly in line with the record, but as they say in the business, it's, "close enough for government work."



Third Song - Final mixdown of my 2nd assignment in Music 51. I'm not entirely satisfied with how the final product turned out, but I really like the samples. The samples are easily 5-10 times better than the ones taken for my first project. I'm trying my best to get this one to load, but because it is an .aiff file and not an .mp3, I might be out of luck. I'm just glad it wasn't as big as a turd as my last one (though, admittedly, it did suffer from being strictly written to the guide posts for a grade rather than to what I really wanted to write; that is water under the bridge at this point).

EDIT - After converting the song to .mp3 format, it seems to load without issues. It may also be worth noting that the samples for this project were recorded in GarageBand, but the song itself was assembled in MULab. MULab is a free sequencing tool (though you can pay for the full version and get more features, like additional tracks) that is similar to GarageBand. It has some features I like (EXs: "sampla," a tool that allows you to sample and actively manipulate pre-made audio samples, or the ability to assemble your own synthesizer based on specific parameters). It also has features I don't like (EX: the user interface is often counter-intuitive; I found the save system to be particularly frustrating. Also, I had trouble getting my external MIDI controller to work properly (it only worked approximately 2 times out of three)). All in all, for free software there is a fair amount of things to like. I don't think I will be using it extensively in the future, but if I ever need to do a "remix," this is probably the software that I will turn to.



I'll have more coming soon, including more videos to my YouTube channel (lancer327). See you soon!

No comments: