Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A New Beginning, Sort Of.

I've been away for awhile.

I've been pursuing interests outside song-writing, and as a result, it seems things have become a little bit of a mess here. Apparently, the site that previously hosted my songs (mp3tube.net) has been all but eliminated. It has been replaced by what I can only guess is a free flash-based games site (the site is in Spanish). I've been spending the better part of this morning trying to find a solution to this problem, and I've yet to be fully satisfied by any of the solutions. Here are just a handful of the sites:

filefactory.com
opendrive.com
youshare.com
esnips.com

...and the list goes on. After finally stumbling on a useful guide on how to do it in GooglePages (http://tinyurl.com/nht4zc), the day was more or less saved. One other blog (http://tinyurl.com/mf6wcg) set me up with the player you'll see later in the post, so a big thanks to them (or he / she / it) as well. Of course, I wouldn't be here if I didn't have some new music to share, so here it is:



The song is called, "Burned," though the file name is called "Quickie, 2." The reason for this is that the song started life as a way to get out some musical ideas. Really, I just wanted to get my "juices flowing," again. In that regard, I think it turned out pretty well. I just used the line of reasoning that nothing is too silly, stupid, or dumb. To me, censorship would be a greater failure than putting out a song that was, "less than perfect." I've also been doing a little reading about song-writing, a nd I'd like to think I've improved, if only a little bit. The song has more structure than some of my past works (ABAABA), and it tells a story from beginning to end. I think my voice has improved (or at least my control over it), and the fact that I have a bass guitar again has really bolstered my confidence (truth be told, this all started as a 12-bar blues based ("bassed," lol) rock riff). All in all...I'm looking forward tow improving my skills, and writing more songs!

---

The Lyrics -

Stan was a real corporate man
Working for his company
They were keen on puttin' out fires
And so was he
Then one day he caught a flame
And things were never the same

Burn it down...

Flint and tinder, sticks and matches
All were brought to work, you see
All had a place within his cabinet -
He smiled with glee.
Then one day his bosses came
And things were never the same.

He wouldn't wear his suits to work
Or finish his cover sheets
Then they found his fire-starters
He started to weep
That was the day he took the blame
And things were never the same

[mini-solo]

Burn it down...

His eyes grew wide and his hands grew sweaty
He was canned, simply un-hired
The job was his life, and how it was over
He was fired
That was the day the firemen came
And ended in insurance claims...

[outro]

---

Side Note 1 - I seem to have a thing about writing songs about people slowly coming off their rocker...lol.

Side Note 2 - I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the older posts. I'm not going to delete them, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to try and find all those tracks again. I may set up a jukebox of "oldies" on a separate site; if I do, I'll make note of it in one of my upcoming posts.

No comments: