Sunday, April 27, 2008

Mountain



---

This one is interesting. It started life as a random keyboard riff, and somehow flourished into a full song. My mom ended up liking the beat enough to put it on her iPod as one of her workout songs, and what's more...it has a DRUM SOLO. I've been meaning to put one of those in one of my songs for some time, but I finally did it. Playing a drum solo on a keyboard is actually a lot harder than I thought it would be. I'll definitely take this into account for my next keyboard drum solo. Before I go any further, let me give a few of my "inspirations" for writing this song.

- Jimi Hendrix, "Voodoo Chile"

I had the chorus stuck in my head when I wrote part of the lyrics, even if the melody and the words ended up being (I hope) reasonably different.

- The Theme To Batman (campy 60's version)

There's really no excuse for a horn section that raunchy, but I put it in because it made me smile. It still does...the horns in this song rawk.

- Blue Oyster Cult, "Cities Aflame With Rock and Roll"

This one inspired parts of the solo more than anything. I tried to get a really cool, fast, face-melting guitar solo, but ultimately I fell short of that goal. I'm still fighting on, though.

- The Theme to about any campy cop show ever.

Can't you hear it, lol?

I hope the lyrics were easier to hear this time, but just in case you need them, here they are:

---

1-2-3-4

I was standin' next to a mountain
'Til I tore him down
I was standin' next to a mountain
'Til he went and turned around
Can't stop me now baby
Devil can't drive me down

---

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - this song is proof that I shouldn't quit my day job to become a blues singer.

No comments: